Fort McClellan is surrounded by the Choccolocco foothills, which are part of the Appalachian Mountains. These mountains were used for artillery firing during the Spanish-American War.
Fort McClellan was officially established as Camp McClellan on July 18, 1917. It was redesignated as Fort McClellan in 1929. It was used as a Prisoner of War camp during World War II starting in 1943. It had the capacity to hold up to 3,000 prisoners. Many of the captured soldiers painted murals of their homelands on the walls of their cells. These can still be seen at Remington Hall. On the western corner of the post there is a cemetery holding 26 German soldiers and 3 Italian soldiers who died while being held as Prisoners of War.
The Patton building functioned as hospital in 1931, a special army treatment center in 1950, and a morgue. The Patton Building has been known as the Provost Marshall and Military Police Office since 1985.
Ghosts and the Paranormal at Fort McClellan in Anniston, Alabama:
Visitors to Fort McClellan in Anniston, Alabama have reported full body apparitions as well as strange shadows and doors closing by themselves for no apparent reason. Strange light displays have been reported at Fort McClellan. People have also reported icy cold spots.
In the Patton Building, where there are now offices, there are a number of strange events reported including disembodied sounds like footsteps and cold spots.
Camper, L. (2010). Mostly closed in 99 our fort may sport ghosts left behind. Retrieved February 8, 2011 from http://www.annistonstar.com/view/full_story/10103054/article-Mostly-closed-in–99–our-fort-may-sport-ghosts-left-behind?instance=home_lead_story
No Author (n.d.). Some History on Fort McClellan. Retrieved February 3, 2011 from http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/Some%20History%20On%20Fort%20McClellan.htm
The Shadowlord (1998). Shadowlands Haunted Places Index. Retrieved February 3, 2011 from http://theshadowlands.net/places/louisiana.htm