The Graniteville Cemetery was established around 1850 in association with the Graniteville Mill, which was founded by William Gregg. Cotton was king, and the mill was a large producer of textiles in the area, making the name Gregg synonymous with the art of cotton production. The mill generated a worker village, and, in 1860, the village was home to 830 people. With generations of family members working at the mill, a cemetery was required to house the bodies of family members. The cemetery sprawls across the top of a hillside overlooking the now-incorporated town of Graniteville. The potter’s field houses the grave of Mr. William Gregg himself (33 33.940 -81 47.935), perched at back of the cemetery with the best view of the town. Also in the cemetery are 83 Confederate soldiers, and James Wesley Reardon, who worked at the Graniteville Mill from 1872 until his death in 1959. Graniteville is a town that believes in its ghosts, and welcomes them as family; whether it’s a great grandfather, long dead and buried, back to squeak his ancient porch rocker on a hot still summer evening, or locked doors that open in the night to a kitchen where once long ago someone’s grandmother burned to death in a fire. In the evening after dinner over coffee, the town seems to shake out its ghosts like pecans from the trees in the garden. Night dogs bark the distance between houses like old friends calling out across a field each one’s too tired to cross, and old stories weave their way through the sleep of whole families, whole generations of families, until the history of an evening becomes the history of a town and of a century.