Located on the corner of Market and Washington Streets in Columbia City, IN one block east of Main on Market Street.
Originally this building served as the Whitley County Jail. It was built in 1875. In 1884, Charles Butler was hanged at the Whitley County Jail. Occasionally it happens that in hangings, the person’s neck is not snapped, but rather they slowly strangle to death. This was apparently the case with Charles Butler. His spirit is blamed for paranormal activities that have been reported here.
Currently this building is used as a commercial haunted house. It’s hard to miss this location as it definitely has the look of a "haunt".
Disembodied sounds and footsteps have been reported.
Nightwalker (2005). Legends of the Jail. Retrieved March 3, 2009 from http://www.columbiacityhauntedjail.com/Legends.html
Shadowlord (1998). Shadowlands Haunted Places Index. Retrieved March 2, 2009 from http://theshadowlands.net/places/indiana.htm