Hill City, South Dakota
History of Hill City South Dakota:
Hill City is located about 26 miles southwest of Rapid City, South Dakota on Highway 16 and on U.S. Route 385 connecting Deadwood to Hot Springs.
Hill City is the oldest city in Pennington County, South Dakota. The population of Hill City is about 800 residents. Hill City once depended on mining as its primary industry. Today, it is more of a tourist destination for travelers visiting the Black Hills.
Arikara Indians inhabited the area now known as the Black Hills as far back as 1500 A.D.. Evidence exists that humans lived in the region, however since 7000 B.C.. Lakota Sioux moved into the Hill City region in the 1800’s and called the area Paha Sapa.
In 1874, Major General George Custer led an expedition to the Black Hills and discovered gold in the French Creek, 13 miles south of Hill City. Hill City began to be settled by miners in 1876.
The Alpine Inn is a restaurant as well as an inn. Wally Matush came over from Germany and acquired the inn (known then as the Harney Peak Hotel) in 1974. The building was the site of a number of businesses until it became known as the Alpine Inn in 1984. Wally wants to be buried in the basement of the Alpine Inn when she dies so that her ghost can haunt the building along with all the others. Her daughter Monika, took over the business of the Alpine Inn in 1996.
Ghosts and Hauntings of the Alpine Inn in Hill City, South Dakota:
Sources say that the second floor is where most of the paranormal activity takes place. Visitors to the Alpine Inn in Hill City report the sounds of disembodied footsteps and voices. Lights reportedly go on and off on their own as well.
The Shadowlord (1998). The Shadowlands Haunted Places Indexs: South Dakota. Retrieved January 24, 2011 from http://theshadowlands.net/places/south_dakota.htm
Wikipedia (2011). Hill City, South Dakota. Retrieved January 25, 2011 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_City,_South_Dakota