Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire
Fitzwilliam is located at the junction of Highway 12 and Highway 119 in southern New Hampshire.
Amos J. Blake House Information:
The Amos J. Blake House was built in 1837 by Levi Haskell. The house was built next to the Fitzwilliam Inn (which was built in 1796) as a commercial building. The house had a separate door at each corner for two stores and and doorway in the center that lead into the living quarters on the second floor of the structure. The house eventually became the residence and law office of Amos J. Blake. He was a community leader, town official, and state legislator.
This building has been passed along to several owners who used the building for a variety of different businesses until 1865 when it was purchased by Amos J. Blake. He lived in the building until his death in 1925. His son Leroy lived in the house until his death in 1965. Leroy’s cousin, Ida Mae Northup gave the house to the Fitzwilliam Historical Society in 1966, under the condition that the structure be used permanently as a museum under the Blake name.
Ghosts and the Paranormal at the Amos J. Blake House in Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire:
TAPS has visited this location.
Reports of a ghostly cat that appears as a misty little fuzz ball. Also, reports of a ghostly young boy in certain areas of the Amos J. Blake House Museum.
Visitors and staff report feelings of uneasiness, strange sounds (like the sound of sleigh bells), and even nausea at the Amos J. Blake Museum. Doors will reportedly open and close without explanation. Objects are also moved without explanation and disembodied voices have been recorded.
The Shadowlord (1998). Haunted Places Index. Retrieved February 14, 2011 from http://theshadowlands.net/places/new_hampshire.htm
Fitzwilliam Historical Society: Fitzwilliam, NH: Home of the Amos J. Blake House Museum. Retrieved February 14, 2011 from http://www.fitzhistoricalsociety.org/